Thursday, 6 September 2012

The Problem Of Seperate Electorate


At the second round Table Conference had in London, in 1931, Gandhi and Ambdkar
continued to have serious differences. While the latter wanted reserved seats and separate
electorates for the Untouchables, the former wouldn’t hear of it. Stating that Dr.
Ambedkar did not speak for the whaled of the Untouchables in India, Gandhi went on to
say: “I want to say with all the emphasis I can command that if I was the only person to
resist this thing I will resist it with my life.”

Gandhi was true to his word. under the Communal Award of 1932 the Untouchable
castes were to choose a few representatives of their own by separate electorates and also
vote in the general electorate. Gandhi imposed this move by going on the famous `Wpic-
Fast’. Ambedkar, with great reluctance, went to Poona to negotiate with Gandhi, whose
condition was worsening. Eventually a compromise was arrived at where Ambedkar
dropped his demand for separate electorates and Gandhi conceded the provision of
reserved seats.

Gandhi’s reason for opposing separate electorates was his fear that it would disrupt the
Hindu community. He said. separate electorates will create division among Hindus so
much that it will lead to blood shed. Untouchable hooligans will make common cause
with Muslim hooligans and kill caste-Hindus.? At another level Gandhi felt that the time
was ripe for caste Hindus to make reparation to the untouchables. Conceding separate
electorates would take away this possibility of change of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment